1.21.2013

Beef N' Veggie Sliders {aka mini- hamburgers}

My husband is kinda picky when it comes to vegetables  He will NOT eat lettuce. I've begged and begged for him to just try salad. All in vain. He just doesn't want to eat a leafy. But he doesn't mind cooked veggies, he even ate spinach and brussel sprouts the other week. Its not that he doesn't like veggies, he just has a hard time eating raw veggies.

I've become very creative of ways to slip them in meals. Pureed in soups or minced in sauces. He has no idea at how healthy is really is :) haha I love it. Isn't it funny that I do this more for him than my kids?! My kids will eat almost anything.  So here is another way I like to sneak 'em in. I've made hamburgers a ton. They are quick and easy. I mince up a few veggies and throw them in the mixture. He always complains its too crunchy and not how a burger should taste. SO I finally mastered it. Infact, He double pattied it. And ate the leftovers.

So take your array of veggies: zucchini, bell pepper, onion, carrot and we are going to top off the burger with some pepper jack cheese for a little spice, an egg and cilantro. Those are our key players here. Have you ever had egg on a burger? Brandon is kinda obsessed lately.

Rather than chopping for hours we are going to throw the zucchini, bell pepper, carrot, and 1/2 the onion in a food processor. And pulse a few times til are a bit of a hash. Depending on the power and size of your food processor you might need to chop the veggies down a little first.

Once those are pretty fine, we are going to saute them. That is the key step to avoiding complaints about crunchiness. Add a little oil to your pan and saute the veggie hash for about 5-7 minutes until the carrots are fairly soft.



Prepare your beef with 1 egg, and a good dose of salt & pepper. When veggie hash is ready, combine thoroughly with the beef. Time to get your hands dirty! Form beef into small patties for a "slider" or large size to be a regular sized patty. Grill as desired! Ours are usually well done, no pink.

Then its time to build your "Slider." Sliders are kinda a new fade. They have been around for a while but for some reason have been a hot topic. Basically they are a mini-burger. Burger on a roll rather than a bun. I loved them on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls... man those things are dangerous.

We ate some burgers at a food truck gathering last week and they had these tiny little eggs on them. I didn't think much of it until tonight when my eggs were much to large for my mini-burger/slider. Brandon did a little research and we found out that they were quail eggs! Eek! I can't believe I ate a quail egg. Weird! Just the thought is weird! Any how I don't have any quail eggs just sitting around so we just cut up a regular egg.


1. I made a mayo sauce that consisted of mayo, chili powder and garlic. (Yuuu um)

2. Layer shredded ice burg lettuce and red onions.

3. Your pattie with pepper jack cheese.

4. Egg or piece of. Unless you have quail eggs sitting around. If you do, you are weird.

5. Cilantro, because I love the stuff.

6. Cap it off and poke it with a toothpick to hold it down.


I taste tested this on a Steph (one of our contributors and avid burger lover) She said, "I can't even taste the veggies! That is great for kids!" (ooor picky hubbys) And she also said she was a convert to the egg on beef theory, just not quail for us. 

Beef 'n veggie Slider
Ingredients
2 lbs ground Beef
1 zucchini
1 red bell pepper
1 carrot
1/2 onion
1 Tbsp EVOO
3-4eggs
salt and pepper
garnishes
Directions
In a food processor, mince the zucchini, bell pepper, carrot and onion. Add veggies to large skillet with evoo. Saute over medium high heat until tender, about 5-7 mins. Combine in large bowl with 1 egg, ground beef and salt and pepper. By hand combine all ingredients thoroughly. Form into small patties and grill as desired. Cook remaining eggs as a "hard' egg, little to no yolk. Serve on Hawaiian Sweet Roll, garnish with egg, lettuce, red onion, pepper jack cheese, cilantro, shredded ice burg lettuce and mayo sauce (consists of mayonnaise, chili powder, and minced garlic). Pierce with toothpick to hold together. Makes 15-20 sliders

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. My husband HATES lettuce, it is his least favorite food in the whole world. Which makes me sad. Our husbands really do sound like twins though, I always have to hide the veggies. But I never thought to add them to a burger...I'll have to try this out. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there! by the way, your blog is awesome! i didnt tell you that during christmas time, i made your soft caramels so thank you! i have a blog too and i would love if everyone always commented so i wanted to let you know! and, i would be so happy to trade buttons with you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...