9.15.2012

Hummus

The first time Steve and I tried hummus was in Vegas 3 years ago at a California Pizza Kitchen. I had heard about it somewhere, so I convinced him to go for it with me. It came with this tomato mixture on top and warm triangles of pita bread. We both instantly fell in love.
And it was healthy! Double fist pump!

 So after some searching online, I found out a little more about hummus, and the CPK recipe. It's made with white or garbanzo beans, tahini paste, oil, and spices. What is tahini paste you ask? It's like peanut butter for sesame seeds. It's bitter, so I wouldn't slather it on your next sandwich...
Last week the husband came home with a brand new Blendtec. This thing is ridiculous..it blends iPhones, hockey pucks, turns sugar into powdered sugar, ice cream, even bread dough.
So I figured it could make me some hummus, and it was definitely creamier than the other times I've made this recipe!
This seriously takes 5 minutes to put together.

2 T EVOO
1/8 c lemon juice
3/4 T soy sauce
3/4 t salt
3/4 t cumin
1/8 t corriander
1/8 t cayenne
1/4 c tahini paste (this can be difficult to find, I get mine at Sprouts next to the peanut butter)
5 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
1 can cannellini or great northern beans, drained

Checca topping:
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 T garlic, minced
1/2 t coarse salt
1 T EVOO
basil

Throw everything (except for the Checca ingredients) in your Blendtec (or food processor/blender) in the order listed. For the Blendtec, run the 'sauce' function. I ran it twice to get it like I wanted.
 Make your checca by mixing ingredients in a small bowl, and place on top of the hummus. Hummus can be served in about a million different ways. It's generally done as a dip, with fresh pita bread, or pita chips. I also like it with veggies, especially red bell peppers. You could even put some on the inside of a meatless wrap or pita pocket for a tasty source of protein.

Excuse the non-manicured nails. This is one of my most favoritest colors though, it's more orangey-red in person, it's Essie's Olé Caliente.
Ooooh, spicy.
Back to the hummus. 
My husband seriously craves this stuff, it's sodang good.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love hummus but I also live in The Middle East although we use fava beans for hummus here :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...