9.17.2012

Blue Slaw {with bbq pulled beef sandwiches}



Remember that roast I made for the Beef Noodle dish?  Remember how I only used half of the roast?  Well - this is how I used the other half!  An easy peasy pulled beef sandwich topped with a blue cheese cole slaw.

One of my loves is soft cheese.  I love goat cheese, feta and blue cheese -- add one of these to pretty much anything and I'm in!  Soft cheeses was honestly what I missed the VERY most while I was pregnant.  Darn those un-pasturized delicious cheeses!  Since having my baby I have indulged in every. single. dish. made with a soft cheese.  Bring on the blue cheese burgers, greek salads, and goat cheese pizzas!

There is this trendy, cool thing here in LA called the food trucks.  You may have heard about it on the food network, or you may have been to one of these set ups.  It is basically a bunch of gourmet catering trucks that gather at one location and allow the public to buy a meal.  Kind of like a food court on wheels, except waaaayyy better.  There is a food truck stop location near us each Friday, and we enjoy going down there.  It's a great way to eat out with a baby and try some new foods.   Recently I had a pulled pork sandwich with blue cheese cole slaw at a food truck.  It was Ah-mazing.  I think I've said it before - but I'm not a huge cole slaw fan, especially when eating it on it's own...but this one had blue cheese, and it was on top of a sandwich.  "I'll have one of those please!"

My mother-in-law makes a delicious pulled beef with traditional cole slaw.  She was the one that turned me on to eating the slaw on top of your sandwich.  I was reluctant at first, but was sold at first bite. Between my mother-in-law's pulled beef and the sandwich I had at the food trucks, I was inspired to create this meal.

I used the other half of a cooked roast beef that was left over from the beef noodle dish and shredded it up --  see what I did with the other half of my roast here.  Then I tossed it in a saucepan with about 2 cups of bbq sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays) and about a half a cup of water.  I simmered it until the meat was heated through.


Then I whipped up the Blue Slaw-


Blue Slaw
Ingredients
1 16oz bag of cole slaw mix
1 cup light mayo
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 TBSP honey
1 cup blue cheese crumbles
Instructions
In a large bowl whisk together the mayo, vinegar and honey.  Stir in blue cheese and cole slaw mix.

{To make it really authentic, I heated a skillet over high heat. Sprayed the inside of my buns with spray butter and placed them inside down on the skillet for about 30 seconds to toast the bun.}

Assemble the sandwich by placing some pulled beef on the bottom at the blue slaw on the top.  Be sure to wear a bib while eating this meal. :)

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM! My dh would love this. I make these from time to time with chicken. Back in my hometown of east TN we have this lil bbq places on the roadsides and they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...