1.28.2012

Potato Salad in January


I know right? who makes potato salad in Jan? ME! We had a hawaiian friend who had a birthday, and for the birthday dinner I was to bring potato salad. I'm pretty sure hawaiians eat potato salad all year round? Every hawaiian restaurant I've been to serves potato and macaroni salad all the time.

I had some people asking for my recipe to my salad....and so I thought I would post it, even though it doesn't really seem like the season to.

One thing I learned from my mom, who always a makes stellar potato salad, is the simpler the better. Potato salad can become a hodge podge of spices and add ins- but it gets to be too much. Roll your eyes if you must- but I promise every time me or my mom make this we get asked for the recipe. promise.

Here is how I did it...


Potato Salad
Ingredients
3 reg russet potatoes
4 red potatoes
(or just do 6 reg russet potatoes)
6 celery stalks (thinnly sliced)
4 green onions (cut)
about 1 cup mayo
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/4 cup yellow mustard
5-6 hard boiled eggs- cut up
(you may want to save one, sliced up nice for the top)
salt and pepper
Instructions
Boil halfed (or quartered) potatoes in salted water.
{do you know you should always cook potatoes in salted water...just like your noodles}
Cook till fork tender.
Cut into bite size pieces.
you can choose to peel them or not. I usually choose to not, because I like skins and the added texture. my mom always does. after you boil them a lot of the skin will peel off anyway when you cut into bite size pieces. I discard those pieces and just throw in the meat of the potatoes.
In a separate bowl mix the mayo and mustards, gentle stir in onions, eggs, and celery pour over potatoes and stir gently. add Salt and pepper to taste.
and last, nicely sliced egg on top and paprika..if so desired.






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...