1.31.2012

Almond Poppyseed Bread




I'm not one to eat breads, and I really don't seek out bread recipes to bake! But this bread came to me from a neighbor. My husband and I both LOVED it, loved it so much I asked her for her recipe....I couldn't wait more than a week to make it and share it with you.
I was a little worried about others liking it....but my sister came over and took one of my many loaves and they loved it too. Even my picky nephew and my niece ate a piece and asked for more!


Almond Poppyseed Bread
Bread:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 1/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Glaze:
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 c. orange juice
Instructions
Mix bread ingredients.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Poke holes (see instructions below) in
bread and pour glaze on immediately after removing bread from oven.
Let cool. Enjoy!  Yields: 2 loaves
* I baked mine in 5 small loaves and just watched them carefully after 40 minutes of baking.




 you can use small toothpicks or make larger holes like with butter knives.
 With tooth picks you need to pour slowly. Poke, pour glaze, poke again, pour a little more etc.






the Glaze doesn't show up very good in these pictures- but you can kind of see where the glaze soaked through on the bread....the bread almost looks mushy and not cooked where the glaze oozed down. 
so good. 




 When the glaze is only divided between 2 large loaves there is a heavier layer. Here I spread it kind of thin amongst 5 loaves. I'd probably double the glaze next time- make sure there is plenty sugary crunch.



Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That looks Delicious. Almond poppy seed is one of my favorites! I am going to have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm this looks so moist and golden, I'll have to give it a try, thanks for sharing!

    - Follow my blog at ajennyforyourthoughtsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this and everyone loved it. We ate half a loaf before I even got it out of the pan to cool. The glaze makes this bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this for a baby shower! Can't tell you how many people asked for the recipe. Its a gem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...