1.20.2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I have wanted to make one of these pies for a long time, but to be honest I'm not the biggest pot pie person. My husband, however, is. He really enjoys and good pot pie, and since I have a good pie crust recipe (and know I can pull it off) I decided to see if I could pull off the inside.

I looked up a bunch of other recipes and noticed a lot of them called for things like canned cream of chicken soup or a can of veg-all. Not what I'm going for. I want the creamy gravy inside. maybe even potatoes. SOOO I tried it, and I feel it was successful. Next time I might add a little more flava flava of some kind, like more bouillon?

I used THIS perfect pie crust recipe. 
This recipe makes two pies...because the pie crust recipe makes 2 pies. PERFECT meal for when you are giving one away.

HERE is how it all went down.

Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients
1 rotisserie chicken. meat picked off and juices from bottom of pan dumped on top of chicken for flavor (very important)
1 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup cut celery
1 cup cut carrots
1 cup cut red potatoes (cut pretty thin)
1 cup cut reg potatoes (cut pretty thin)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup frozen peas
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup (just use the broth can) of heavy cream
olive oil
salt
*garlic salt, celery salt and thyme would be nice.
Instructions
in large sauce pan melt butter. Add onion, celery, carrots and potatoes, sprinkle with salt and seasonings*- cook till onions are translucent.
sprinkle flour over and stir. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
add chicken, broth, and peas.
let simmer for 10 minutes.
right before dishing into pie crust add cream.
Ladle into pie crust. and add top pie crust.
Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes till crust is golden brown.
let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. If you serve immediately the sauce will be very runny. let it stand and it will turn creamy :)






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...