3.08.2013

Dad's Chili (For the Closet Vegetarian in All of Us)


Growing up as a vegetarian, everyone would always ask me how I got my protein. As a kid I never really focused on it much and I always seemed to be healthy so I didn't worry. Now that I'm 3 months pregnant I think about protein every day. I know how important it is to get the right amount of protein to not only curb the effects of pregnancy nausea, but to also grow a healthy baby. Most pregnancy books I have read suggest that you consume between 90-100 grams of protein every day! With that high mark to hit every day I had to think of some recipes that I actually enjoyed that would help. My dad's famous vegetarian chili recipe was the perfect solution. There are also tons of B vitamins and fiber to also help with the symptoms of pregnancy. For those that need a less spicy alternative because of pregnancy heartburn, you can either omit, or lessen the amount of chili powder and tabasco sauce and only include 1 chopped jalapeno. When you remove the jalapeno seeds before chopping you get rid of most of the heat and it is a little easier to bear.


Vegetarian Chili

  • 5 Tbs Olive Oil 
  • 10 Cloves Crushed Garlic 
  • 2 Medium Onions chopped 
  • 2 Green Peppers chopped 
  • 2 Red Peppers chopped 
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers chopped (remove the seeds before chopping) 
-- Saute all of this for 5 mins or until onions are translucent and then add:

  • 2 28-oz cans of crushed tomatoes 
  • 2 cans Kidney Beans 
  • 2 cans Black Beans 
  • 1 can yellow Corn 
  • 2 cans vegetarian Refried Beans 
-- Cook all of this for 5 minutes and then add:

  • 2 Tbls Sea Salt 
  • 1 Tbl Dark Chili Pepper 
  • 2 Tbls Cumin 
 -- Simmer everything together and then add:

  • 12 splashes of green tabasco sauce 
  • 1 can of Beer (alcohol cooks out)
-- Cook all of this together for 30 minutes and then garnish with:

  • Tortilla chips 
  • Chopped avocado 
  • Cilantro 
  • sour cream
  • Sauteed, cubed tofu

Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...