11.20.2012

Sweet Potato Casserole


A few years ago I was assigned to bring the "yams" to Thanksgiving. I started asking around how others prepared them. There is always the typical chop them up with butter over and marshmallows.. which is good. I thought I would do that until my girlfriend introduced me to this recipe and I just love love love it. It has a nice crunchy sweet crust and creamy base. I've considered having it as a dessert!

First of all, when we make this, we use sweet potatoes. Not yams. Can you look at the picture and guess which one is the yam?


Trick question. Niether! They are both sweet potatoes! The US government was a little confused on the labeling and has labeled the orange variety as a "yam." When in fact it is not even related in a yam. Apparently true yams are huge and dark/blackish. ? Anyway.. my point is both are simply sweet potatoes just different colors and textures. And both very very yummy! You can choose your favorite for this casserole, I've done both and love both! This time around I used the yellow sweet potato.

 To make this lovely dish....

Sweet Potato Casserole
Ingredients
3 Sweet Potatoes
2 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter, softened
1/3 Cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
Topping:
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Butter. melted
Directions
Rinse and peel sweet potatoes,then cut in to large chunks and boil in large pot of water. While boiling, beat 2 eggs in large bowl. Add in sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. When potatoes are fork tender, strain and add to mixture and combine. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Combine all ingredients for topping and sprinkle evenly over top. Bake uncovered at 350 degress for 20-25 mins.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for clarifying the sweet potato/yam mystery. Every year when I am making this exact same recipe (which is our favorite Thanksgiving dish) I stress over which I should be buying (the orange or yellow) because I forget every year which I used the year before. Now I know it doesn't matter! Our favorite quote from this dish is "these are so good they taste like candy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother made this recipe with the darker sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving and it was very yummy! I tried it and actually enjoyed it (even thought I'm not much of a sweet potato fan)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...