10.18.2012

Pumpkin Pasta


Several years ago, while I was living in San Diego, I belonged to the BEST crafting group.  We called it card swap.  We would meet once a month and exchange handmade cards.  The ladies in this group were the most talented, fun, caring, and amazing women I have ever met.  It was something I looked forward to EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH.  One month I remember so vividly was at Marianna's house.  Marianna has an infectious laugh, never spoke ill of ANYONE, and had this way of making you feel special and important.  I miss her like crazy.  This particular time she hosted happened to be in October.  Her house was adorned with cute Halloween decorations, she had candy apples and chocolate sitting out on her kitchen table, and she served us THIS pasta.  We all DEVOURED it!  It was so yummy, so homey, and perfect for the season.  She kindly shared the recipe with me and I think about this dish every year in October.

So often we think of pumpkin as a dessert ingredient rather than a savory ingredient...but it is PERFECT in this dish!  My 9 month old even gobbled this up (once I pulsed it in the blender a few times.)  It has a rich, earthy, savory flavor that I just can't get over.  Love this one!


Pumpkin Pasta
Ingredients
1 LB Fettuccini
2 TBSP EVOO
1 small onion, diced
1 shallot, minced
1 (14oz) can pumpkin
1 (14oz) can low sodium chicken stock
3 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese, divided
2 cups shredded parmesan cheese, divided
Instructions
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and shallot.  Cook, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes or until translucent and soft.
Add pumpkin and stock.  Stir to combine and add thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper.  Stir and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.  Add 1 1/2 cups gouda and 1 1/2 cups parmesan.  Stir gently to combine and add cooked pasta.  Remove bay leaves.  Top with remaining cheeses.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...