9.10.2012

Beef Noodles




Growing up my mom would always make this dish with leftover roast.  I enjoyed this leftover meal waaayyyy more than I enjoyed the roast.  I was thinking about this beef noodle dish because my mom whipped it up with roast leftovers after I had my baby.  If you love a Sunday pot roast then this recipe is PERFECT for those leftovers.  But - I took the plunge and cooked a roast JUST for this dish.

I cut the roast in half after it was cooked and saved the other half for another meal.  Stay tuned to see what I did with the other half...

But back to the noodles.  This is a homestyle, fall cookin', comfort sort of meal.  Super easy and a tummy pleaser.

Beef Noodles
Ingredients
1 package wide egg noodles
1/2 of a beef roast - any variety will work
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
water
4 TBSP flour
5 TBSP butter
hard boiled eggs, sliced (optional)
Preparation
Place roast in crockpot, sprinkle with gravy mix and onion soup mix.  Pour about a half a cup of water into the crockpot as well.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or 4 hours on high until tender.
Cook noodles according to package directions.
Remove roast from the crockpot and cut in half.  Save one half for future dinner (be sure to look for my post next week signed "Kadee" to see what I did with the other half.)  Cut the roast half into bite sized pieces
Pour the drippings from your crockpot into a measuring cup.  You are going to need 3 cups of liquid.  If the drippings don't equal 3 cups, add some water or broth to make 3 cups.  In a large skillet or saucepan melt the butter.  Once butter is melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk until combined and slightly golden.  Pour in your drippings.  Whisk quickly until the mixture thickens into a tasty gravy.  Add salt and pepper if it needs it, but the brown gravy mix and onion soup mix usually give the dripping plenty of flavor.
Add the roast pieces to the gravy and serve over the egg noodles.  Sometimes my mom would serve hard boiled egg slices on top too.


There you have it - a home cookin' Sunday afternoon supper.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...