8.04.2012

Fresh Pesto Shrimp



It's no secret - I LOVE shrimp.  Seriously one of my favorite foods.  I like it grilled, roasted, cold with cocktail sauce, fried, in pasta...I could go on and on...but I'll stop so I don't end up sounding like Bubba Gump.

I stumbled upon this tasty shrimp recipe a few years ago.  I've prepared it roasted in the oven and on the grill.  Both are delicious.  Prepared roasted the flavors are rich, and grilled the flavors are fresh.  Pictured here I have grilled it.  I prefer grilling in the summer months - keeps your house cool.  If you really want to make this recipe more "semi-homemade" just buy pre-made pesto.  I've done it and it was just as good!

This dish works as an appetizer (served this at Christmas) or a main dish (like we had tonight).  Really versatile.



Fresh Pesto Shrimp
Ingredients
1 pound uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp
1 cup basil leaves
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh grated parmigiano reggiano
salt and pepper to taste
crushed red pepper flakes
lemon wedges for garnish
Instructions
Start by preparing your pesto, if you're using store-bought skip this step.  In a blender or food processor (I use my magic bullet) combine basil, garlic and pine nuts.  Pulse until basil is roughly chopped.  Add cheese and olive oil and blend until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Toss shrimp with the pesto in a gallon size ziplock and let marinate for 20 minutes in the fridge.
Thread onto skewers and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.
If grilling: Preheat grill and cook over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until shrimp is opaque and pink.
If oven roasting: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange skewers in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Roast until shrimp is opaque - about 8-10 minutes.
Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.  Garnish with lemon wedges.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight, it was great! I'll have to remember this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...