12.07.2011

a different kind of sheperd's pie.

but alas, it is that time of the year where the sun goes to bed WAY to early, and therefore my pictures of food look way to orange (dispute my white balance manipulation...). 


When I think of Shepards pie...I think leftover meat. or ground beef. cream of something. green beans. left over mashed potatoes.

THEN I had one of our contributor's 'Superhotsteph' shepard's pie, and was in love.
I loved the thyme. I loved the non-gloppy no cream of something.

I loved the cheese.

Last night I had nothing in my fridge. but I had potatoes. and meat. so I thought I would try to recreate her recipe.
I did a pretty dang good job.
Later I got the actual recipe...I didn't add the soy sauce, {which apparently is the secret ingredient} or the parsley {but I never add parsley...nothing against it. just lazy}and I added 2 carrots {it does look pretty carroty in the pictures} but the rest was pretty close.


A Different Kind of Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients
1 Tbs salt
3 large potatoes, quartered
2 Tbs butter
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ to 1/3 cup milk
1 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 large carrot, grated or chopped
1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
½ clove garlic, finely chopped
½ tsp dried thyme
1 Tbs soy sauce
Instructions
In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in salt. Add potatoes and boil gently for about 15 to 20 minutes or until they are soft. Drain off water and add butter and salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes, adding enough milk to make a smooth mixture. Set aside. (I usually make more potatoes that this)
Preheat oven the 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and stir-fry until tender. Stir in ground beef; then add carrot, parsley, garlic, and thyme. Cook until beef is thoroughly browned, stirring frequently. Drain off any excess oil. Add soy sauce and stir well. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if desired. Spread the meat mixture evenly in the bottom of a deep pie dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...