4.15.2013

Lemon Pesto Hummus


A few months back I attended a baby shower and a one of the guests brought this amazing hummus. It was creamy, it was smooth, it was tangy, it was everything that makes a hummus divine. All the guest gathered around the table gathering their ordurves. Munching and commenting on the spread. Our Southern Dip, Bacon Wrapped Chestnuts and Lemonade made an appearance at this baby shower as well... I brought some pretty stellar cupcakes all dolled up with pink frosting, edible pearls and silver sugar flakes. {I'm a cake kind of person and a any given children's party I will happily be the first adult to take a piece of cake. And eat what my kids don't. Stop calling me a fatty.} As the night went on guess what the guests when back for?! The Hummus! I think everyone took a small suspicious helping to begin with. And after tasting and being impressed they went back for more. 

I asked my friend Lindsay for the recipe because this bombshell needed to be shared. She happily sent me the recipe and I am so excited to bring it to you all! 

To start you are going to need mucho basil. When I am making a recipe that demands a lot of basil, I buy a whole plant. It seriously is the most affordable way to go, compared to the expensive small refrigerated packs. And if I don't use it all, I can keep growing it! I suggest Trader Joe's Plants. Huge and Cheap. 
For this hummus we are going to go the extra mile and toast our pines. Really bring out the flavor of the nut. You will notice that all the elements of pesto are being thrown in to this hummus. Rather than making the pesto then the hummus we just make it all at once. 


Add in some lemon to brighten the flavor and sea salt for savory. Blend all together until smooth and creamy. 
Serve with veggies or pita chips. I love to have a batch of hummus made up to snack on through the week. So much better to go back for seconds on hummus then on the cupcakes ;) 


Lemon Pesto Hummus
Ingredients
2 cans of Garbanzo Beans
2 cups loosely packed Basil
1/4 cup toasted Pine Nuts
1/3 cup EVOO
1/4 cup Water
1 tbsp mince Garlic
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt & Pepper
Tiny pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Directions
Toast pine nuts in a skillet til golden brown. Wash basil. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Serve with Veggies or Pita Chips. Use as a spread on wraps or sandwiches.

Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...