4.27.2013

Homemade Granola Bars



I'm a huge fan of granola bars. They are a quick easy snack for me. While hanging out with my sister-in-law, she saw me grab out of my diaper bag a store bought granola bar. Her faced lighted up as she told me of her new HOMEMADE recipe of granola bars. She couldn't stop raving about them! I had one bite and I was sold. The ingredients are half what you would find in a store bought granola bar, easy to make (my kind of food), and DELICIOUS! I did do a few tweaking of my own of the recipe. She puts in almond slices but I have a weird texture issue with nuts, so I ground up peanuts in my vitamix. I know... kind of strange! I like nuts but I don't like chewing them. Smooth is much better.Well enough about my of my weird self. I'm never going back to store bought granola bars. I even loved eating them before cooked.



Spouts has brown rice crispies. My husband couldn't tell in the granola bars but said just having the brown rice crispies plain for cereal in the morning wasn't the super yummy. So to make your bars more healthy you can add that.




I don't cook much with coconut oil but when I do my food always taste extra good. The sweetness of it adds an extra flavor to whatever your baking. Even though these granola bars have coconut in them its not overwhelming. It has just the right amount!











Granola Bars
Ingredients
4 cups Oats
1 1/2 cup Rice Crispy (Sprouts has Brown Rice Crispies)
2 T. Flax Seed
2 T. Wheat Bran
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 t. Salt
1 cup Coconut Oil
3/4 cup Honey
1 cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
1 1./2 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chunks
1 1/2 cup Peanuts
Directions
1. Blend in mixer Flax seed and Peanuts until smooth. (Optional)
2. Add all ingredients in large bowl and mix
3. Flatten into a 2 9x13 pans or use 1 cookie sheet (use parchment paper to get the bars out easier)
4. Cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees
5. Let cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...