12.30.2012

Corn Chowder

I just made this recipe up.
"My life is good. Really good. I get to wake up at 5:00 in the morning and make some soup. It's the best. I love it. I get to lay in a bed by myself all of my life. It's fantastic."
-Nacho Libre. Duh.
 It's SOUPer tasty, easy, and pretty healthy. You chop veggies, throw it all in the crock pot, come back and blend half of it, and you got yourself some simple corn chowder.
I chopped four ears of corn, a red bell pepper, half of an onion, about eight little golden potatoes, and a couple cloves of garlic. The potatoes I only chopped in half for time's sake. I was in a rush to get out the door to church, and was only wearing a slip, half of my hair was curled, and still needed to put my eyes on. I threw that all in my crockpot, poured in a box of chicken stock, broke up a bar of low-fat cream cheese (feel free to use regular, but it was seriously full of flavor with the low-fat), and topped it off with a couple slices of leftover bacon I had, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Set on low.
Three hours later, bump the crockpot up to high because you're starving and ready to get your grub on within the hour (or set on low in the morning and it'll be ready within 6-7 hours).
I took out about half of the potatoes and corn and set them aside.
This is where an immersion blender would be handy, but I lack. Sigh.
Pour the remaining soup in a blender (depending on the size, you'll probably need to do it in two different batches, making sure to allow room for expansion) and blend.
Mix the whole veggies back into the blended soup and top with more bacon.
This would taste amazing with the green chilies in our Green Chili Cheese Bread.


Corn Chowder
Ingredients
4 ears corn
1 red bell pepper
1/2 onion
8 gold potatoes
2 cloves garlic
32 oz (1 box) chicken broth
8 oz low-fat cream cheese
6 slices bacon
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
Directions
1. Chop corn, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, and garlic.
2. Place in crock pot on low, add broth, cream cheese, 3 slices bacon, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
3. Three hours later, increase crock pot to high (or keep on low for about 6-7 hours).
4. Take out about 3-4 potatoes and some of the corn and bell pepper, set aside.
5. Blend remaining soup. Add whole veggies back in, top with remaining bacon, season to taste.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...