12.28.2011

Tortilla Chip Chicken, with simple homemade cream of Chicken



This is our families twist on Amy's Jo's Frito Chicken. We love Amy's recipe- but Nate likes the tortilla chips better, and I don't use cream of chicken {so I don't stock up on it} very often so sometimes I find myself wanting to cook a meal with cream of chicken in the ingredients list- on a whim- without cream of chicken in my cupboard. 
So if that ever happens to you- here is a great substitute. I like it because it is really simple and 1 batch = 1 can.   I've found a lot of homemade recipes for cream of chicken make a big batch and then your left trying to figure out proper proportions. 

I have started making the cream of chicken substitute for most my stove top recipes that call for it. It's healthier- less sodium and natural. IF I make a casserole I tend to still use the can (why dirty another dish) and I don't use this recipe for just plain eating as soup. 
{but I don't eat canned cream of chicken for just plain eating either.} 



Tortilla Chip Chicken
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
1 can mexican stewed tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
cream of chicken recipe below (or one can)
grated cheese
rice of your choosing
Frito chips
Directions:
Dice and; saute the chicken. (its great to crock pot the chicken for the afternoon)
set aside. 
In same pan, make cream of chicken substitute {recipe below}- Add tomatoes and ; chilies.
Let it all simmer while rice cooks.
Layer rice, tortilla chips, chicken sauce, and then top it with cheese.


Cream of Chicken substitute
picture from bunsinmyoven



Cream of Chicken substitute
Ingredients
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions,
Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour and continue whisking until smooth and bubbly. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Return to the heat and bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Substitute this for one can of cream of chicken soup.
best recipes
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. A cream of chicken substitute!!! Amazing! I'm trying this is one of my recipes this week

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...