8.04.2010

Hot Apple Pie




Our neighbors FAVORITE dessert is Apple Pie, and after he helped us out with a minor catastrophe, we thought pie would be appropriate.
I followed a recipe for allrecipes.com....but I would change where you see the *
is how I would change it for future apple pies.

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 7 cups thinly sliced pared apples *7 cups was WAY to much for my pies, I would say 6. (about 4-5 apples)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches) *I used Marie Calendars. They come with two crusts, you let one thaw out and after putting the apples in the frozen mixture you can press on top.
  • 1 tablespoon butter ormargarine
  • 1 egg white
  • Additional sugar

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture;toss well to coat. Line a 9-in. pie pan with half the pastry. Place apple filling into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut a few slits in top. beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle sugar on top. Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Increase temperature to 400 degrees F and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden.
*my oven cooks hot, I learned while cooking this pie. M
y pie was done after 35 minutes of 375!
It was SOO yummy.


*APPLES* after reading for a while on the internet, I found that it is best to use
whatever apples are in season in your area. I also remember seeing on food network that its good to use a couple of kinds. So I chose one or two green and the rest were the best looking ones in my grocery store.
however, you want to use nice crispy ones, soft apples like red delicious aren't very good for baking.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...