5.06.2013

Quinoa Fried Rice

 A new healthy take on the traditional Chinese dish, vegetable fried rice.  Wahoo!  And its seriously just as good.

I am a sucker for fried foods.  Everything fried just tastes really good, but I have been investing more time on creating healthier meal options for my family and it definately doesn't include "fried" foods.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts from this week "How Vegetarians Get Protein", one of the sources is quinoa.  There are sooooo many things you can do with quinoa, but it can always be used as a supplement for any type of rice dish.  There are also several ways to cook quinoa and most often I cook mine on the stove, but for this particular dinner I wanted the quinoa to be a little more sticky so I used my rice cooker.


Quinoa Fried Rice
Ingredients
1 stalk celery
4 large carrots
1 cup snap peas (chopped)
1 cup green beans
1/2 c cashews
2 eggs
2 Tbs coconut oil
2 cups vegetable broth
2-3 Tbs. soy sauce

Directions:
Chop all vegetables. Heat skillet with 2 Tbs coconut oil. When its heated, place all vegetables into skillet. Stir every minute or so for about 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables soften (you don't want the veggies overcooked). Pour in your cashews and cook until they are partly browned. Pour in eggs and mix all together.

Quinoa:
Pour 1 cup uncooked quinoa into rice cooker. Add 2 cups vegetable broth. Cook on white rice function. Takes about 20 min. or so. Once the quinoa is finished add all of it to the vegetable mixture. Add 2-3 Tbs. soy sauce and mix thoroughly.

Serve with vegetable egg rolls, vegetable pot stickers and a simple citrus salad. Or with chicken.
You can also add peas or other vegetables you have that you think would be fitting for this type of dish! This is what I had in my fridge and it worked out great! Enjoy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...